Wednesday, September 16, 2009

More Micro on the Hstab


1270 days and 1984 hours

Here is me working on the Horizontal Stabilizer (Hstab). It is the horizontal tail wing. It looks like I am snarling, but I am just not a very photogenic. It was nice to get some work in. I worked from 1030PM to past midnight and was up at 530AM the next morning. I may be adding too much glue to this as I stumble through this project. The only bad part of adding too much glue is that weight is very important or as some one has said whenever possible add lightness. OF course I could take 30 pounds off the final weight of the plane by exercising more and eating less.

Ken's widow still owns and controls the plans to the KR1 and KR2 planes. Over the years many people have added new ideas and design changes. As far as I know you can still order plans from Rand Robinson Engineering. I happened to be in CA and I went by the address. It was a post office box in a UPS store. The conventional wisdom is that if one wants to buy the plans they should just mail a check and wait. I have not bought plans. I am following the plans of Scott Watts. He has taken all the changes made over the years and building what he is calling the KR Super. He hasn't finished yet. I am following him as he posts the changes online. It is risky building a plane from plans that have not been flight tested, but his plans are so much more detailed that it really is the only option for me.

No comments:

Post a Comment