Saturday, September 5, 2009


1,279 days 1991 hours

I got over four hours of work in on Saturday. Today is Sunday and I don't work on Sundays. Tomorrow is labour day so I should be able to get some more hours in. I am struggling with the final touches on the Horizontal Stabilizer. I am still learning about the uses and epoxy and micro. I have to be patient and keep moving forward without fear. There are so many parts of a plane and terms that are completely new to me. I included a picture of the tail of a plane to show the part I am working on.

Keeping a build log is not just nice, but critical. You have to prove that built at least 50% of the plane in order to qualify as the builder of an experimental aircraft. As a builder you can then work on the plane without having to worry about the all the rules of what is allowed on a plane. It sounds like a good idea to have such control on private planes, but it is crazy strict. If some one wants to add something simple to their plane, for example a larger gas tank, if there isn't one that has been certified they can't do it. Or if they do they will have to remove it to pass a required annual inspection. With an experimental you can do your own annual inspection.


No comments:

Post a Comment