Thursday, November 5, 2009

Popping Rivets Sitting Pretty

1219 Days 1952 Hours

That far rivet is not a good rivet. I will have to hammer that down to fix it. The rivets I got were just a little bit longer than 1/4 inch. They should sit in the hole before I pop them, but they don't so I have to squeeze them and then push them further in the hole. All the others are fine. This was the one bad one. Look at the gap between the nut plate and the aluminum strip. Again could have been done better. I am learning. I didn't have the first clue about riveting before this project.


This plate is part of the vertical spar which is what will hold the rudder. I made sure that the holes lined up center. Which makes me recommend that the wood hard point not be drilled through until they are fiberglassed in. The hole in the hardpoint will be drilled through once it is locked in place. It is mentioned that centering it is critical


































After getting back from Boyd's where I can borrow tools like a pop riveter and drill press I pulled the peel ply off the sides. Scott doesn't say to put peel ply on the inside, but the class I went to at the copper state fly in said always put peel ply on and leave it on until you are ready to use the piece. These are the obligatory pictures of our first seat in the plane. Kim is so good to me.

No comments:

Post a Comment